Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Laparoscopic Nephrectomies for dummies...

Today I got observe a laparoscopic nephrectomy (kidney removal). Just amazing. Very similar to this one, except it wasn't "hand"-assisted; laparoscopic clamps were used instead @ much smaller ports, thereby reducing the size of the incisions and scaring of the patient. It took me a while to get my bearings, because although I know my anatomy pretty well, knowing it inside-out and backwards takes some doing. I got the hang of it by the second operation.

It did confirm one thing though: I don't have much of an interest in working in the OR as a nurse due to the lack of face-time with the patient (unless of course one counts time watching the vital signs of someone who is under general anesthesia). OR nursing is valuable, no doubt, but I just don't think it would be the right fit.

Check out a nephrectomy (pretty bizarre that a nephrectomy is on youtube). Simple as 1-2-3:

1. Dissect away the connective tissue from the bowels and kidney.
2. Clamp of the major arteries/veins feeding/running off the kidney.
3. Cut out the kidney with a cauterizing clamp.

Check it out:



No comments: