Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Psych Moments

So I've just recently started my psych rotation on a floor that specializes in patients with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and shizoaffective disorder. I've been out of psych for long enough that I miss it. Random moments and exchanges with patients that you won't ever experience anywhere else happen on these floors. Here are a couple:

First day getting adjusted--I am suddenly distracted from a conversation with a biploar patient due to a loud noise. I ask the patient to repeat what she just said. She responds, "Look, I know I have a short attention span, but I'm bipolar. What's your excuse?"

Second day, talking to a patient with schizoaffective disorder. I attempt to assess his ability at abstract thinking by asking him to interpret the saying 'A rolling stone gathers no moss'. Our exchange:
Patient: Stones don't gather moths. Besides moths couldn't lift stones either.
Me: No, moss.
Patient: Oh, that changes everything. That rock is a loser. The moss is the winner.
Me: Why is that?
Patient: The rock couldn't gather any moss so the moss must have gathered all the stones!
[I still don't know how to interpret that one]

Third day, walking up to patient who is rolling their eyes in every direction, " I can't even see my eyes!"

Another patient, when asked if she was Catholic, said, "I'm on the cusp."

A HIV+, 60 year old man diagnosed with shizoaffective disorder that was coming down off a recent crack binge was asked about his goals,
"I'm just trying to get a grip on what little years I got left."


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nat, thanks for sharing your psych experiences. I got a good chuckle with whom you've had "conversations".

I am an incoming UCSF MEPN student and currently work with geriatric psych clients, who have also let me in to their internal dialogues. One client believes he is the "King of the Enti", speaks "Kugarat" and has "1000 lesbian wives". It continues to amaze me how "structured" the inner worlds of clients suffering from schizophrenia actually is. He is stable on antipsychotic bi-weekly IM medication, and recognizes the "difference between the 'in-world' and the 'out-world'".

Looking forward to both a challenging and rewarding year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat,

I stumbled upon your blog and it says you included your personal statement that got you into UCSF but I don't see a link to it. Can you point me in the direction of how I could read your statement?

pharmacy said...

Hi, listen, I'm pretty new on this blogosphere and Internet thing, so I don't know if there's a sort of "subscription" method that I can use in order to receive notifications of your new entries...? Thing is I enjoy reading your blog a lot and I'd like to be up to date with your posts!

secure tabs said...

this is a ugly situation, you know to that age that pronostique you something like this, well is not something motivating.